How long does a Chihuahua live? Chihuahuas have one of the longest expected life spans of any purebred dog. The Chihuahua has a life expectancy of 15 - 20 years with some Chihuahuas living to 25 years old! Dogs under 30 pounds live longer than the bigger breeds. Mutts tend to live longer than pure breeds, more diversity in the gene pool.
The Great Dane and Deerhounds have the shortest. They are elderly around 6 to 8 years old, (giant breeds).
Why large breeds die younger, appears to be mostly because they grow rapidly, therefore aging more rapidly.
Your Chihuahuas Lifespan does depend on some external factors as well as the gender and genetic makeup. Females tend to live longer than males. Here is a list of factors that affect your Chis lifespan.
- Type of diet
- Indoor/outdoor Dog
- Restrained or loose in the car with you
- How often they ride in the car with you
- How well their teeth have been taken care of
- How well he is supervised outdoors
- Fenced or leashed when outdoors
- Spayed or neutered
- The amount of exercise they get
Cancer and heart disease are the main causes of death in elderly dogs.